The Municipal House was built between 1905 and 1911 to design of the architects Polívka and Balšánek, occupying the area of the former Royal Court, which had been demolished in 1903. The new building, conceived as the centre of the Czech cultural life, presents a mixture of architectural styles as neo-Renaissance, neo-Baroque and Art Nouveau.
In 1918, the National Board was founded in this building and the independence of Czechoslovakia was declared from its balcony. Following that, in the 1920s and the 1930s, many cultural events took place there. Between 1994 and 1997, were carried out major reconstruction works with the aim to re-establish the original appearance of the building, based on original plans and photographs. At present, the Municipal House is used as a concert hall, ballroom and civic building. It also houses cafés and restaurants.
Architects:Osvald Polívka and Antonín Balšánek
Project date: ca. 1905
Nám. Republiky 5
11121 Staré Město