Site of the original Salisbury, this mighty Iron Age hill fort was where the first cathedral once stood and the Romans, Normans and Saxons have all left their mark during 5000 years of history.
Climb the mighty ramparts for views over the Wiltshire plains and imagine the once thriving town of Old Sarum. Stand in the footprint of Salisbury's original cathedral, conquer the royal castle which stood high on the motte, and discover the awe-inspiring Iron Age hill fort where it all began. Unearth over 2,000 years of history and find out how the Romans, Normans and Saxons have all left their mark on this impressive landscape
- Accessible Toilets
- Assistance Dogs Welcome
- Site Folders
- Wheelchair Access: There is a ramp into the shop. The ground level is accessible in the ruins and there is a slope leading to the upper levels (assistance may be required).
- Disabled Parking: There is one disabled bay which cannot be reserved.
- Stairs: There is a staircase with a slope next to it to enable wheeled access.
- Pathways Surface And Gradients: The main pathway on the site is tarmac and there is also a bonded gravel driveway with a steep wooden bridge.
- Handling Objects: The walls can be touched. If booked in advance a handing collection can be arranged.
HOW TO REACH
Parking charges apply to non-members. Parking free for members. The car park is situated on a slight slope on the outer bailey, approximately 200 metres from the shop and admission point. There are 30 spaces on tarmac and 30 in the grass overflow car park. Additional parking can be organised on the site if necessary (this should be arranged prior to visit). During the winter season one coach bay is available on site, or it is possible for the coach to drop off in the car park and then park in the lay-by next to the main road. During the summer season the site can accommodate four coaches, as long as the weather is dry. Unfortunately spaces cannot be booked.
2 miles north of Salisbury, off A345
Postcode : SP1 3SD
Latitude : 51.091939
Longtitude : -1.801509
Salisbury Reds service X5 (Stagecoach 5 on Sundays), 8; Stagecoach Hampshire 8; Wiltshire Buses 501 Park and Ride service and Stonehenge Tour service.
Salisbury 2 miles
Entry without gift aid/with gift aid:
Child (5-17 years) £3.20/£3.60
Family (2 adults, up to 3 children) £14.00/£15.60
SP1 3SD Salisbury