The Luxembourg Museum was the first French museum open to the public in 1750, and since 1818 became the first museum of contemporary art. Its history is intimately linked to those of the Palais du Luxembourg, where it was first installed, and the Senate, which was at the origin of the construction of the present building in 1884. Since 2000, the Luxembourg Museum has renewed Its history, the Senate by assuring management again.
In 2010, the Senate delegated the management of the museum to the Réunion des musées nationaux - Grand Palais with the mission of organizing ambitious exhibitions. Three areas of programming, linked to the history of the place, are privileged: «Renaissance in Europe», «art and power» and «the Palace, the Garden and the Museum: Luxembourg in the heart of Paris, capital of the arts ".
The Reunion des Musées Nationaux - Grand Palais is one of the first organizers of exhibitions and events in the world. It exposes, publishes, diffuses, acquires, welcomes, informs. It contributes, for all audiences, to the enrichment and better knowledge of the artistic heritage at the national and international levels.
The Senate and the RMN-Grand Palais are committed to the development of an ambitious cultural policy in the service of the public.
The demanding and popular program of the Luxembourg Museum will appeal to all audiences, museum visitors, as well as young audiences, schools, families and audiences far from cultural practices.
In accordance with the commitments made to the Senate, the Museum of Luxembourg has proposed, since its reopening in 2011, a diversified educational and cultural offer, unpublished in this museum. Offers tailored more specifically to young people, families or schools, as well as to the so-called remote communities have been successfully implemented.
Rmn-Grand Palais undertook an extensive renovation program completed in the fall of 2012.
She appealed to Shigeru Ban and Jean de Gastines, architects of the Center Pompidou Metz, renowned for the aesthetic and environmental quality of their achievements.
The architects reviewed all the interior fittings of the museum and created a series of recycled cardboard furniture for the museum.
In the heart of the 6th arrondissement of Paris, the Luxembourg garden extends over 24 hectares and attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. Created in 1612 around the palace that Marie de Medici, regent of France, built, it is endowed with plantations, flowerbeds and water games.
In the mid-nineteenth century, with accelerated urbanization, Luxembourg became one of the most beautiful parks in the capital with its particular layout, mixing both French gardens and English gardens. An orangery built in 1830 houses more than two hundred bins containing oleanders, orange trees, grenadiers and palm trees. The fruit garden, inherited from the Grande Chartreuse in Paris, still retains 320 varieties of apples and 210 varieties of pears. Finally, greenhouses, not open to the public, except during the European Heritage Days, contain the Tropical Orchid Collection of the Senate.
The museum is accessible to people with reduced mobility.
GIG / GIC parking spaces, reserved for persons with disabilities with a parking card, are located near the museum:
HOW TO REACH
By public transport:
RER: line B, stop Luxembourg (exit Jardin du Luxembourg)
Subway: line 4, stop Saint Sulpice; Line 10, stop Mabillon
Bus: lines 58, 84, 89, Luxembourg; Lines 63, 70, 87, 86, stop Saint Sulpice
By car :
Parking Marché Saint-Germain: access via rue Lobineau, Paris 6th
Parking Place Saint Sulpice, Paris 6e
In Vélib ':
Stations n ° 6009, 6030, 6017
In Autolib ':
2 rue de Fleurus and 18 rue Madame:
Individuals - Rates
Full: 12 €
Reduced: € 8.5 (16-25 years old, jobseekers and large families)
Special Young: 8,5 € for two entries (Monday to Friday from 17h)
Free for children under 16, beneficiaries of social minima
Audioguides (in 4 languages: French, English, Spanish and German) are available on site for rental at a rate of 5 € per machine
19 rue de Vaugirard