Located in the heart of Bury St Edmunds, the abbey was once one of the richest and most powerful Benedictine monasteries in England. Its remains are extensive and include the complete 14th century Great Gate and Norman Tower, as well as the impressive ruins and altered west front of the immense church.
The relics of the martyred Anglo-Saxon king St Edmund, whose remains were moved to this site in 903, and his shrine became a place of pilgrimage. The abbey itself was founded in 1020 and grew in power and wealth up until its suppression in 1539.
School Visits/Large Groups: Please contact St Edmundsbury Borough Council on 01284 764667.
Open daily with variable opening times.
Opens at 7.30am Mon - Sat, and at 9.00am Sun.
Closing times vary depending on daylight hours - exact changeover dates may vary slightly but these are a guide:
March to May - 6pm
June to September - 7.30pm to 8pm
October - 6pm
November to February - 4.30pm
Parking: There is a charged car park opposite the Abbey Gate, not managed by English Heritage.
Access: The abbey remains are within the Abbey Gardens and are reached on foot, either via the Abbey Gate entrance into the gardens on Angel Hill or via their Mustow Street entrance. Parts of the site are uneven and can become muddy.
Facilites: English Heritage has no facilities at the abbey but it is in the centre of Bury St Edmunds so there are plenty of options nearby. There are toilets, a refreshment kiosk, beautiful floral displays and a children's play area within its Abbey Gardens setting.
Dogs: Dogs on leads are welcome.
HOW TO REACH
East end of town centre
Postcode : IP33 1LS
Latitude : 52.244592
Longtitude : 0.721189
Services to the town are operated by H.C.Chambers, Coach Services of Thetford, Galloway European, High Suffolk Community Transport, Mulley’s Motorways, Stagecoach in Cambridge, Simonds of Diss, Stephensons of Essex and Suffolk Norse
Bury St Edmunds 1 mile
Admission is free.
IP33 1LS Bury St Edmunds