This Orthodox monastery was built between 1375 and 1377 as a foundation of Prince Lazar of Serbia, who was buried there.
The architectonical complex has been damaged several times through its history, especially by the Turkish. It was abandoned in the late 17th century until the year 1717, when a monk came back in Ravanica and, helped by the locals, started to reconstruct the monastery. During the Serbian Revolution (1804-1835), the monastery was assaulted, so a new restoration took place in the mid-19th century. In the same way, at the WWII the monastery complex was damaged by the Germans, because of that it had to be restored again during the following decades. The Ravanica church, dedicated to the Ascension of Jesus, is considered the birthplace of the Morava school artistic movement because of architectural and artistic features. The building was fortified with a defensive wall with seven towers, of which only a part is preserved. In 1979, Ravanica was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance and it is under the protection of the Republic of Serbia.
Fecha del proyecto: 1375-1377
Кнеза Лазара ББ