About Cookies On This Site
We use cookies to personalise content, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic.
We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.
You may read more about any of the purposes or vendors that we use by clicking 'More info'. REFUSE COOKIES ACCEPT COOKIES

Museum of Human Anatomy "Luigi Rolando" - University of Turin

Turin’s Museum of Human Anatomy was established in 1739 and was transferred to the Anatomical Institutes Building in 1898, after which it remained virtually untouched.


History

In 1563 the gifted Angelo Visca was called from Savona and this marks the start of the Turin School of Anatomy. However the first information about an Anatomical collection dates back to 1739 when Charles Emmanuel III asked the Anatomy professor Giovanni Battista Bianchi to create the University Museum in the building in Via Po which is now the rectorate. Some objects from the eighteenth century collection are conserved to this day in the present Museum of Anatomy. Amongst them is a plaster statue of a pregnant woman (it can be identified in the 1739 inventory conserved in the Turin State Archives) and some anatomical waxes.

1815-1837

With the Restoration of the Monarchy the anatomical collection increased again, thanks to the initiative of Luigi Rolando who exhibited it in public in the Palace of the Royal Museums (now the Egyptian Museum). Numerous objects from this collection including important wax models are conserved in the present Museum.

1837-1898

The Anatomical Museum was transferred to the Saint John the Baptist main hospital where the collections continued to be enriched. In the last few decades of the century, under the direction of Carlo Giacomini, particular importance was given to the presentation of dried specimens and specimens in alcohol. The enthusiasm for the ideas of Darwin stimulated the development of the Anthropologocal and Primatological collections.

1898

With the construction of the new Anatomical Institute building in Corso Massimo d'Azeglio 52 the Museum was finally transferred to its present location.


ACCESSIBILITY

Free access for disabled people with guide


HOW TO REACH

PUBLIC TRANSPORTS
Lines 9, 16, 18, 67, Metro (Nizza Stop)


ADMISSION

Tickets (cash)

€ 5,00 admission fee
€ 3,00 reduced (12 to 18 years old, 65 and over, FAI memberships)
Free admission every Wednesday of the year and for cardholders Subscription museums Torino Piemonte and Torino + Piemonte Card ()

Combo ticket for admission to three museums € 10.00 admission fee; € 6.00 reduced
(Lombroso Museum, Museum of Anatomy and Museum of Fruit)


Guided tour

The guided tour lasts one hour and costs € 35,00. The maximum number per group is 25 participants. To book, call Monday through Saturday from 9 to 17 (calling +39 011 6708195).


VISITOR INFO

OPENING HOURS: next days Mon  10:00-18:00
Tue  10:00-18:00
Wed  10:00-18:00
Thu  10:00-18:00
Fri  10:00-18:00
Sat  10:00-18:00

ADDRESS:
Corso Massimo d’Azeglio, 52
10126 Torino
Piedmont
Italy

EXHIBITIONS

  • Twenty-two wonders of the museum

    exposition

GET THE
CLOUDGUIDE APP NOW!

CloudGuide is a free app and platform to bring digital content of cultural institutions and tourist attractions to your own smartphone. Download now and enjoy the visit!

DOWNLOAD NOW AND ENJOY THE VISIT!