By the mid-19th century, the architect Wegmann was commissioned by Jakob Emil Tobler-Finslerand his son to design the mansion, built in the late Classicist style in 1853. In 1900, took place a notable reconstruction of the house carried out by Hans Heinrich Conrad von Muralt (the exterior parts) and Eduard Berlepsch-Valendas, who designed an ArtNouveau interior.
Besides, new elements were added to the garden as the dragon fountain and the youth figure. The demolition plan of the mansion in the early 1960s, after it was sold in 1951, aroused a strong public opposition. Consequently, in 1964 the property was acquired by the city of Zürich. The house was then occupied by the Theater an der
Winkelwiese and the building was modified to new user needs. In 1996,the Villa Tobler was leased to the art association Zürcher Kunstgesellschaftand later it passed to the Kunsthaus Zürich, guaranteeing to the theatrea ten-year lease. The mansion was renovated for the last time between the years 1998 and 2000, according to historic preservation aspects. At present, the Villa is a protected building.
Architect: Gustav Albert Wegmann
Project date: ca. 1850
Villa Tobler's garden is open to the public, daily from 06:00 to 19:30.
* The house is only accessible when booked for private events.