For over 30 years already, the world’s first-ever food-themed museum has been sharing a global and independent view of the many aspects of the human diet. Its multidisciplinary, cultural, historical, scientific and nutritional-focused approach and its bold and original programme of activities have established the Alimentarium as a reference on food.
A symbol of Nestlé’s development, the building is listed as historical monument.
While the pale yellow limestone softens the building’s French patrician castle-like stature, the neoclassical architecture reflects the fact that, in 1921, it first housed the management offices of the Nestlé & Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Company. At the time of its completion, Gustave Aguet presided over the company, having succeeded his brother-in-law Emile-Louis Roussy (1842-1920), the first CEO of the conglomerate arising from the 1905 merger.
Built between 1918 and 1920, the first administrative offices of the Nestlé & Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Company were designed by local Vevey architect Adolphe Burnat (1872-1946). Pierre Nicati assisted him in supervising the construction.
After 1936, when the management offices moved up the road to their new site in Entre-Deux-Villes, the building housed the Société des Produits Nestlé. These offices joined the new wing in La Tour-de-Peilz in 1979, leaving the building empty. After considerable renovation, on 21 June 1985 the building opened its doors to the Alimentarium, the world’s first food museum.
The Salle Nestlé on the first floor is the only room in the building to preserve its original splendour. From 1921 to 1930, it was the office of the Director General of the Nestlé & Anglo Swiss Condensed Milk Company. Today, this room honours the pioneers of industrial food production, such as the inventor of canning and artificial deep freezing.
HOW TO REACH
Access by train
Vevey CFF/SBB railway station, then 15 minutes’ walk or bus 201 or 202 heading East (La Tour-de-Peilz/Montreux) to the Hôtel-de-Ville stop.
Access by bus
VMCV bus number 201 or 202:
heading East (La Tour-de-Peilz/Montreux) to the Hôtel-de-Ville stop
heading West (Lausanne), Sainte Claire stop’
Access by car
Via the A9 motorway (from Geneva or the Valais) or A12 (from Bern), exit at Vevey. At the roundabout, follow ‘Vevey centre’. The Panorama underground car park and the Place du Marché are less than 10 minutes’ walk from the Museum.
Access by boat
Get off at the ‘Vevey-La Tour’ quay, then walk westward (Lausanne) for 5 minutes.
Get off at the ‘Vevey Marché’ quay then walk eastward (Montreux) for 10 minutes.
Children 0-6 ans: Free
Children 7-16 ans: 4.00
Reduced (Senior citizens, students, job seekers…): 11.00
Quai Perdonnet 25