Once a fearsome fortress, muster your courage and explore Framlingham Castle's towering walls. It was behind these walls that Mary Tudor was proclaimed Queen of England. Discover more of Framlingham's stories in our exhibition, walk the ramparts of the castle to enjoy its breath-taking views or taste some Tudor inspired delights in our café.
Framlingham is a magnificent late 12th-century castle. Surrounded by parkland and estates, it was once at the centre of a vast network of power and influence.
Explore its rich history and find out more about its journey from a Norman powerhouse to a 17th-century home for the poor.
Access information for the site is listed below. For more information, or if you have particular access needs, please contact English Heritage before you visit. Please note that some facilities may require booking in advance.
- Accessible Toilets
- Assistance Dogs Welcome
- Wheelchair Loan
- Braille Guides
- Wheelchair Access: All ground floor areas within castle walls are level compacted gravel surfaces. Exhibition has level access (within Workhouse). Steep spiral stairs to upper floors and wall walk. Earthworks beyond the castle accessed via rough tracks and very undulating ground.
- Disabled Parking: Parking nearer the entrance can be arranged for disabled visitors: please telephone in advance.
- Stairs: Steep spiral stairs to upper floors and wall walk.
- Pathways Surface And Gradients: Mostly gravel and grass. Earthworks beyond the castle comprise of rough tracks and very undulating ground.
- Handling Objects: There are objects within the exhibition that can be handled, including 'hats through the ages' and 'who eats what' where the aim is to place the plates of food next to the class that would have eaten them.
HOW TO REACH
Parking charges apply to non-members. Parking free for members. Car park is 300 metres from the entrance of the castle. Room for 30 cars on gravel and there is an overflow car park on the opposite side of the road.
In Framlingham on B1116
Postcode : IP13 9BP
Latitude : 52.223995
Longtitude : 1.348394
Galloway European 118, 119; Nightingales 482; PF Travel 62
Wickham Market 6 1⁄2 miles; Saxmundham 7 miles
Entry without gift aid/with gift aid:
Child (5-17 years) £6.00/£6.60
Family (2 adults, up to 3 children) £26.00/£28.60
IP13 9BP Framlingham