The building of the company Portois& Fix, dedicated to furniture manufacture, was erected in 1899-1901 according to the plans by the architect Max Fabiani. Parallel to the developments of Otto Wagner's school, of which he was a member in 1894-1896, and the Majolikahausconstruction, Fabiani conceived a residential while commercial building.
The distinction between these both areas was done through differences in materials construction, which was a novelty at this time. The high ground floor, originally cladded in polished granite, was dedicated to the sales rooms and the furniture storeroom. In contrast, the three following floors, the residential zone, are faced with an orthogonal mosaic of light green and brownish glazed tiles. Lastly, the top floor, where the workshops were located, was covered by a Parisian-style sheet metal roofing. At present, the building is no longer a Portois & Fix property.
Architect: Max Fabiani
Project date: 1899