The objectives of the Geominero Museum are to preserve, investigate and disseminate the richness and diversity of the geological, paleontological and mineralogical heritage through the important collections of minerals, rocks and fossils from all Spanish regions and former colonial territories, as well as deposits Meanings of the world registry.
The Geominero Museum is a unit of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain, Public Research Institution of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, whose main headquarters is located. Due to its functional dependence, it is a state-owned museum run by a Public Research Agency.
The continued value of the funds through its research and dissemination through thematic catalogs, has placed the Museum among the most important of its nature in Spain.
To the scientific importance of these collections, it is necessary to add the historical value of the same, since its origin goes back to the creation of the Commission of the Geological Map of Spain in 1849; Since then they have been nourished by the work carried out by IGME over more than 150 years of geological and mining research.
The Museum is located on the first floor of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain , whose construction as the official headquarters of the organization began in 1921 and was not completed until mid 1940. The architectural project is due to Francisco Javier de Luque , Although the work done does not correspond in its final finish to the primitive planes.
In December 1918 Luque, a professor at the School of Architecture in Madrid, presented a project for the construction of the new building of the Geological Institute of Spain, apparently inspired by plans by the architect Ricardo Velázquez Bosco, author among other buildings of the School of Mines And the former Ministry of Development, now Agriculture.
The draft Luque can be found characteristic features of these buildings, such as amansardadas domes of the corners (not gotten to construct) or artistic windows of access to the first floor, the windows of the hall and own Building of the Museum. The Space Museum is a diaphanous ship, 19 meters high and rectangular, occupying 713 square meters. The cover is metal and polycarbonate structure, which was replaced during the latest works undertaken in the late 80's original reinforced glass with lead joints. Height have threerunners perimeter flown to the central space, which is accessed via three spiral staircases and a lift, located at the four corners of the plant. The floors are parquet-floors, the railings of the balconies of wrought iron, and the walls plastered with plaster and decorated with plaster (highlighting the shells and shields the upper vertices). The false ceiling of the room is a glazed polychrome horizontally in half - shells and other perimeter. The main decorative motifs are a great royal coat of arms in the center and four allegorical shields Corps Minas occupying the central part of each side. In perimeter form also they have the shields corresponding to the Headquarters of existing mines at the time of conclusion of the provincial building. Thus, from the entrance and clockwise can be recognized those of Guadalajara, Cordoba, Ciudad Real, Jaén, Bilbao, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Oviedo, Badajoz, Leon, Seville, Murcia, Almeria and Madrid. The monumentality of the room as a whole, as a notable example of the architecture of wood, wrought iron and glass of the beginning of the century, gives the Museum a special atmosphere that justifies its visit. The exhibition consists of 250 carved wooden windows and glass, which are arranged in the vicinity of the main hall and balconies, distributed in a total area of 1,370 square meters.
HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM
One of the most unique museums in our country is locked at 23 Street Rios Rosas, inside the building of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain . This special location makes it also one of the least known museums in Madrid, despite the interest of copies houses and the sumptuousness of its headquarters and access to it.
Collections of minerals and fossils had its nucleus in the work of the "Commission to form the geological Charter Madrid and the general of the Kingdom", created by Isabel II (RD 12 July 1849, Gaceta de Madrid of 20) Instances of the then Minister of Commerce, Instruction and Public Works Mr. Juan Bravo Murillo.
The institution changed its name several times, becoming "Geological Map Commission of Spain" between 1873 and 1910, "Geological Institute of Spain" (June 1910 January 1927), "Geological and Mining Institute of Spain" (1927 - 1988) And from the end of 1988 until December 2001 "Technological Institute Geominero de España", to return to be the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain to date.
The history of this active and fecund institution is that of Spanish Geology, born along with other great geological services of the world.
In this long trajectory, more than 150 years, the collections shared the various vicissitudes that affected the Institute. Thus, after its original location in the old palace of the Duque de San Pedro (street Guilder # 2), adjacent to the Carrera de San Jerónimo, where it was installed the Directorate General of Mines from 1830 to 1870 went to the Convent of the Trinity, In the street Atocha nº 14. A few years later, the litoteca again changes of location to the street Isabel la Católica nº 23 and later to the Place of the Mostenses nº 2 (old street Isabel la Católica nº 25), until in 1921 Begins the construction of the current building of Rios Rosas street nº 23 (nº 9 of that time), completed during the decade of 1940.
The Geological and Mining Institute of Spain is a public research body, as an autonomous body under the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. It was created under the name "Commission for the Geological Chart of Madrid and General of the Kingdom", by Royal Decree of July 12, 1849. Later, in 1910, it was renamed the Geological Institute of Spain, and in 1927, Modernizes the laboratories, is installed in its current headquarters, and acquires the name of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain.
The Institute is an autonomous organization, following the promulgation of Law 6/1977, of January 4, on the Promotion of Mining and has the character of Public Investigation Organization (OPI) under Law 13/1986 of 14 Of April, of Promotion and General Coordination of Scientific and Technical Research. By Royal Decree 1270/1988, October 28 was renamed the Technological Institute and Geominero de España, name of the institution valid until December 2000, date in which by Royal Decree 1953/2000, of 1 December, by which The Statute of the Geological and Mining Institute of Spain is approved, it recovers its more traditional denomination.
HOW TO REACH
Bus: Lines 3, 5, 12, 37, 45, 149 and Circular
Metro: Line 1 (Rios Rosas, odd exit) and line 7 (Alonso Cano)
Calle Ríos Rosas, 23