Matthias Church was founded in 1015 and destroyed in 1241 by the Mongols. It was constructed again in the second half of the 13th century in Gothic style. After the Turkish expulsion, in 1686, an attempt was made to restore the church in the Baroque style, but it was unsuccessful.
It was between 1873 and 1896 that were undertaken restoration works following the plans of the architect Frigyes Schulek, who restored the church to its medieval appearance but also added new elements, including the diamond pattern tiled roof. During World War II, the building was badly damaged, used as a camp by the Germans and Soviets. Destroyed parts were reconstructed since the 1950s to the 1970s by the Hungarian government. From 2006 to 2013, an extensive restoration plan was carried out. At present, the church also houses the Ecclesiastical Art Museum.
Architect: Frigyes Schulek (19th century remodeling)
Project date: ca. 1870
Szentháromság tér 2