The "Scheepvaarthuis" (Shipping House), located near Amsterdam harbour, was erected in the place where begun Cornelis Houtman's first trip to the East Indies in 1595. The building is regarded as an emblematic example of the Amsterdam School architecture. Its design and execution were entrusted to the brothers Johan Godart and Adolf Daniel Nicholas van Gendt, with the contribution of Michel de Klerk and Piet Kramer, Amsterdam School architects.
The first part was built 1913-1916 and the second one between 1926-1928. Originally, it was the headquarters of six leading Amsterdam shipping companies: the Netherlands Steamship Company (SMN), the Royal Packet Navigation Company (KPM), the Java-China-Japan Line (JCJL), the Royal Dutch Steamboat Company (KNSM) with subsidiary New Rhine Navigation Company (NRM) and Royal West India Mail Service (KWIM). The last shipping company left the building in 1981. From 1983 it was occupied by the Amsterdam Municipal Transport Company (GVB), which left by 2004. After a major renovation, the Scheepvaarthuis opened in 2007 as a five-star hotel. It is listed as Dutch National Monument 4158.
Project date: 1912
Prins Hendrikkade 108