Binham Priory is among the most complete and impressive monastic ruins in Norfolk. This Benedictine priory was founded in 1091 by Peter des Valoines, a nephew of William the Conqueror. Many of its priors were unscrupulous and the history of the priory is one of almost continuous scandal.
The nave of the priory church, with its splendid 13th century west front and fine tiers of Norman arches, is now the parish church, and displays the former rood screen with medieval saints overpainted with Protestant texts. The extensive ruins beyond emphasise the original size of the monastery.
Opening Times: The monastic ruins are open any reasonable time during daylight hours. The priory church is open daily throughout the summer from 9am-6pm. During the winter the church is open 9am-4pm daily. View details on the website.
School Visits/Large Groups: Please contact Binham Parochial Church Council before visiting.
Access Information: There is a car par next to the site.
Facilities: Toilets are available in the church.
Dogs: Dogs on leads are welcome in the monastic ruins but assistance dogs only inside the church.
HOW TO REACH
1⁄4 mile NW of village of Binham on road off B1388
Postcode : NR21 0DQ
Latitude : 52.921053
Longtitude : 0.947699
Sanders service 13 (Thu only) & 46
Admission is free.
NR21 0DQ Fakenham