The Monastery of Profitis Ilias, founded in 1711, is considered a representative example of Cycladic architecture.
Since its construction to the first half of the 19th century, it played an important role in the economic and cultural life of the island, even it run a school from 1806 to 1845. The monastery began its decline in the 1860s, marking a turning point the earthquake that hit Santorini in 1956, which caused serious structural damages to its buildings. Because of that, in the following decades, reconstruction works were carried out. At present, several monks live in the monastery. The main church and the museum are opened to the public, displaying an important collection of ecclesiastical items, hand-written books and Byzantine icons.
Project date: 1711
Epar.Od. Pirgou Kallistis
847 00 Santorini