The Topkapi palatial complex, originally called the New Palace, consists of four main courtyards and many smaller buildings.
The construction works began in 1459 and it has been expanded over the centuries, with major renovations as the carried out after the 1509 Constantinople earthquake and the Great Fire of 1660. It was in the 19th century, when it was given the name Topkapı, meaning Cannon Gate. At present, the palace houses a museum and is part of the Historic Areas of Istanbul, added to the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985.
Project date: ca. 1455