Hvitträsk, named after Lake Vitträsk (literally White Lake), was designed and built between 1901-1903 by Finish architects H. Gesellius, A. Lindgren and E. Saarinen to be a common studio and a home. In 1903, once the main building was completed, Saarinen moved to the South Wing with his wife, Lindgren and his family to the North Wing and Gesellius to Little Villa.
Over the following decades, the residence passed from hand to hand until 1971, when, owned by Gerda and Salomo Wuorio Foundation, it was opened to the public. In 1981, the Finnish State purchased the property, but it was not until 1996 that began the reparation and restoration works, directed by interior designer Markku Nors and landscape architect Gretel Hemgård’s. Nowadays, Hvitträsk houses a museum and it can be visited from February to September.
Architect: Herman Gesellius, Armas Lindgren, and Eliel Saarinen
Project date: 1901
Hvitträsk is now closed for winter and spring seasons. Open from May 2nd to September 30th.
HOW TO REACH
Helsinki-Kauklahti (E, L, S and U trains), 6 km from Hvitträsk. There is a taxi pole in Kauklahti station.
Kehä III, to the west (Länteen), from the Espoonlahti-Siuntio intersection follow Hvitträsk signs (village named Luoma-Bobäck).
Reduced ticket €7 (students, pensioners, unemployed, conscripts and groups more than 10 persons)
Children 7-17 years €3
Family ticket (2 adults and 1-4 children) €22
Free entrance with Helsinki Card and Museum Card