After several re-buildings and fires, in the first half of the 7th century the church of Saint Demetrius was reconstructed as a five-aisled basilica. Since 1493 to the beginning of the 20th century, the building was used as a mosque.
Due to the Great Thessaloniki Fire of 1917, the roof and upper walls of the church were destroyed. After that began the restoration works, which continued the following decades. The church was reconsecrated in 1949, once the restoration was completed. Nowadays, the building is part of the site Palaeochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki on the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
Project date: 7th century
546 33 Thessaloníki