The Museum is located in the building that Miguel de Cervantes stayed in while living in Valladolid. It was at this time that the first edition of Don Quixote was published (1605), and it is therefore believed that he may have written the prologue and preliminary verses here, as well as some of the Exemplary Novels, which refer to the city of Valladolid.
In 1912, King Alfonso XIII purchased the writer’s house at the request of the Marquis of Vega-Inclán; Mr Archer Huntington bought the two adjacent houses, and the Biblioteca Popular y Cervantina opened in 1916. In 1948, after the foundations of the Marquis of Vega-Inclán were bequeathed to the state, the museum devoted to Cervantes was opened. The original structure and interior layout of the house has been kept practically intact since it was built in 1601. It has been decorated according to visual and literary descriptions from the period, and family documents allowed us to trace the furniture, objects and utensils owned by the writer.
HOW TO REACH
URBAN BUS: Lines 2 and 8 (Plaza España stop)
PARKING: Plaza España and Plaza Zorrilla.
GENERAL: 3 €.
REDUCED: 1,5 €
FREE: Saturdays from 2:00 p.m., Sundays
and holidays: 18 May · 12 October ·
16 November · 6 December.
Reduced and free admission: Ask for further information at the Ticket Office.
Mondays, 1 and 6 January, 1 May, 24, 25 and 31 December and Local Holiday.
Calle del Rastro s/n
Castille and León