The Sanatorium Purkersdorf was built in 1904-05 according to the plans of the architect Josef Hoffmann, commissioned by the industrialist Victor Zuckerkandl. The building seemed out to be more like a hotel and mineral spa together with cure-park than a hospital and turned into a social and artistic venue of Viennese society. In 1926, against the will of Hoffmann, the architect Leopold Bauer heightened the building with another floor, which impaired the original artistic conception.
A year later, after the death of Zuckerkandl, the sanatorium was inherited by his nephews and nieces. Towards the end of World War II, the building served as a military hospital and in 1945 it was requisitioned by the Russian occupying forces. After the war, the Protestant Church acquired the building and rebuilt it as a hospital, running as such until 1975, when the property remained unused and started its deterioration. In 1995 the added upper floor was removed to restore the original appearance and in 2003 was carried out an extensive interior refurbishment of the building. At present, it is used as a senior care home.
Project date: 1904
Wiener Str. 64-66