The construction of the Great Market Hall was promoted by Károly Kamermayer, the then first mayor of Budapest. The two-storey building with a basement, designed by the Hungarian architect Samu Pecz in 1894, was inaugurated in 1897. During both World Wars, especially at the second one, the market was badly damaged and remained closed for several years.
In the first years of the 1990s were carried out restoration works and in 1999 the market won the FIABCI Prix d'Excellence. The building has a steel and brickwork structure and is covered in his front part by a colourful tiled roof.
Architect: Samu Pecz
Project date: 1894
Vámház krt. 1-3