The Museum Rietberg Zurich is the only art museum for non-European cultures in Switzerland exhibiting an internationally renowned collection of art from Asia, Africa and Ancient America. It intends not only to focus on the fascinating variety of artistic expression, but also to raise interest and understanding of foreign cultures, views and religions.
In 1949 the citizens of Zurich voted on turning the Villa Wesendonck into a museum for the collection of Baron Eduard von der Heydt which was to be donated to the city. In 1952 the Museum Rietberg of the City of Zurich opened its doors to the public.
In 2002 the public works department of the Zurich City Council organised a competition among international architects for the design of a new museum extension. The winners were the architects Alfred Grazioli (Berlin) and Adolf Krischanitz (Vienna/Berlin). Their design convinced through its generous scale, clarity, and restrained elegance.
The two architects have created an underground building which leaves the exterior of the villa and the park unaltered and at the same time provides spacious exhibition halls which are connected with the old building, the Villa Wesendonck.
On 18 February 2007, the new, large extension opened its doors to the public. The exhibition space increased by 125%. The visitors enter the new museum through a glass pavilion, the “Emerald”, and proceed on into the foyer. From here, they descend to the two underground levels which comprise 1,300 m2 each.
The temporary exhibition gallery is located on the second underground level. With an attractive exhibition programme, the museum continues to assert its position as one of the leading European exhibition institutions in the world.
Parking for persons with disabilities is available beside the Coach House of the Villa Wesendonck.
All buildings are accessible for wheelchair users except the Atelier and the Japanese tearoom in the Coach House.
Wheelchairs are available to borrow from the main building (Smaragd).
Folding stools are available to visitors free of charge.
LIFTS / ELEVATORS
Lifts / elevators in the Emerald, Villa Wesendonck and Park-Villa Rieter provide access to all floors.
Accessible restrooms are available in all buildings.
Please get in touch: we are happy to help!
+41 44 415 31 31
HOW TO REACH
Please use public transportation as there are no public parking spaces by the Museum.
Directions by public transportation:
Tram no. 7 (direction Wollishofen) to the “Museum Rietberg” stop (approx. 12 minutes from Zurich main station).
Train to the Enge train station, then 10 minutes by foot
Bus no. 72 (direction Morgental) to the “Hügelstrasse” stop, then 6 minutes by foot
Temporary exhibition incl. collection CHF 18 / 14 (reduced)
Collection CHF 14 / 12 (reduced)
Under 16 (free admission)
Dec 25, 2022