The owner of this residential and commercial building was the merchant and soap maker Heinrich Louis Klinger (1816-1896), who commissioned the Leipzig architect Rossbach for its planning and realisation. The four-storey corner building, with business and living spaces, was built between 1888 and 1889 and is almost unchanged in the outer until today.
Both façades are divided into three zones: the basement and first floor, which are opened through large windows and connected by pillars; the third and fourth floors, framed by window jambs; and the large reddish terracotta crow-stepped gable. The decoration of the building is partially inspired by the Italian Renaissance, with suggestions from the Lombard architectural tradition, due that the architect and Klinger wanted to achieve a special emphasis on the building for urban planning reasons: the Klingerhaus was then in close proximity to very dominant architectures as the department store Pollich (demolished in 1937) and the building of Deutsche Bank.
Architect: Arwed Rossbach
Project date: 1888 - 1889