The Musée Guimet was born from the great project of an industrialist from Lyon, Émile Guimet (1836-1918), to create a museum of the religions of Egypt, classical antiquity and countries of Asia. Traveling to Egypt, Greece, and then a world tour in 1876, with stages in Japan, China and India, allowed him to gather important collections which he presented in Lyon from 1879.
He was later to transfer his collections to a museum he had built in Paris and which was inaugurated in 1889. During the very life of Emile Guimet this institution was increasingly devoted to Asia, while retaining a section On the religions of ancient Egypt, following expeditions to various regions of the Far East.
The vast program of general renovation of the Guimet Museum, decided in 1993 and put in place since 1996, was intended to enable the institution founded by Emile Guimet to assert itself more and more as a great center of knowledge of Asian civilizations in the heart of Europe, following the efforts of our predecessors, but also taking into account the progress of museology and the new needs for the presentation and conservation of works. The architects, Henri and Bruno Gaudin, and the conservation team gave priority to the light of day and the creation of open perspectives in the 5500m2 of permanent galleries. These large spaces allow visitors to better understand the relationships and differences between the various artistic traditions of Asia, and to ensure a pleasant visit in calm and open spaces. With this great campaign of works, the Guimet Museum has undergone the most complete restructuring of its interior spaces since its founding.
The Musée Guimet, located at 6 place d'Iéna, is accessible to visitors with reduced mobility. Access to the Guimet Museum is via a ramp, located on the left of the stairs.
An elevator and elevators serve the different levels of the museum rooms.
The galleries of the Buddhist Pantheon, located at 19 avenue d'Iéna, are not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility at the moment.
HOW TO REACH
GETTING TO THE MUSEUM:
Line 9 : Iéna station
Line 6 : Boissière station
63, Albert de Mun stop ou Iéna stop
82, Iéna stop
30, Kleber-Boissière stop
22, Kleber-Boissière stop
32, Albert de Mun or Iéna stop
Station 4 Rue de Longchamp (n° 16007).
Station 1 Rue Galilée (n° 16008).
Taxis : Avenue d’Iéna / In front of the museum
Parking : Avenue Kléber, avenue George V (place de l’Alma).
Full Fare 7,50€
Reduced Fare 5,50€
Temporary exhibition and permanent collections
Full Fare 9,50€
Reduced Fare 7 €
Tickets are valid for one day (In-Out accepted)
Audio guide in 8 languages for the permanent collections: free audioguide (reserved only for individual visitors)
Every first Sunday of the month, access to the permanent collections and exhibitions is free.
6, place d'Iéna